Shea oil v Shea butter
Chances are, is by now you would have heard of the supreme moisturising abilities of Shea butter as part of your dry skincare regime, and possibly tried some whether in its pure unrefined state, or as an ingredient in a moisturiser or in a hair product.
However, have you heard of Shea oil?
How does Shea oil compare to Shea butter?
Is Shea butter more effective than Shea oil as a dry skin care product?
Let’s start by looking at what Shea butter and Shea oil is consists of.
Shea oil is a byproduct of Shea butter
The components of Shea butter & Shea oil
All butters / oils are made up of fatty acids. Shea butter and Shea oil are made up of Stearic, Linoleic, Palmitic & Oleic .fatty acids.
1.Stearic acid gives it the waxy, solid consistency.
2. Linoleic acid (vitamin F) produces ceramides. This plays a vital role in keeping your skin strong and resilient. It contributes to protecting the outer skin & acts as an anti-inflammatory, acne reducer and moisture retainer.
3. Oleic fatty acid tend to be very moisturizing and regenerating to our skin. They often offer anti-inflammatory properties and mimic our natural sebum. It is absorbed well by the skin, which offers softening and moisturizing effects.
4.Palmitic acid can act as an emollient. It can soften the skin and help it retain moisture by forming an oily, water blocking layer that slows the loss of water through the skin. This can improve dry and flaky skin as well as conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
Unrefined Shea Butter contains approximately:
43% stearic acid
46% oleic acid
7% linoleic acid
4% palmitic acid
Shea Oil contains approximately:
27% stearic acid
59% oleic acid
9% linoleic acid
5% palmitic acid
Shea oil has all the advantages of the Shea butter without the disadvantages for example
1. Shea oil is more moisturizing for our skin, thanks to the higher oleic acid content. It is also easy to apply as it has a much softer texture
2. Shea oil will absorb instantly leaving your skin softer and giving you a radiant long lasting glow.
3. Shea oil has a lighter scent than the butter
Monshea™ skin and hair range is made from Shea oil.